Join NISO as a Voting Member
NISO Voting Membership is open to any organization globally that supports our goals — to initiate, develop, maintain, and publish technical standards for information services, libraries, publishers, and others involved in the information business. We are the only organization accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) for this purpose.
As a NISO member, you will both understand standards and influence them, helping to ensure that your products both follow the information industry’s best practices and meet your customers' needs.
Benefits of Voting Membership include:
Having a voice at the table
- influence the direction of technological advances in information management through driving standards and best practice in our community
- designate a Voting Representative and Alternate to comment and vote on all proposed or revised standards and recommended practice projects
- participate in an unlimited number of NISO standards committees and working groups (non-members may only nominate one person to serve on one group)
- vote on ISO (International Organization of Standards) activities relating to Information and Documentation and Information Technology, and appoint members to ISO Technical Working Groups that are developing ISO standards related to these areas — US-based organizations only (non-members may not participate in ISO activities)
- propose new standards work items for consideration by the NISO community
Unlimited free or discounted registration for NISO events
- free attendance for all staff at NISO’s monthly educational webinars (14 in 2020)
- access to ongoing webinar recordings and to the archive of previous event recordings including 10+ years of programs
- discounted registration for other NISO events, including the NISO Plus conference, NISO Virtual Conferences, NISO Training series, the NFAIS Technology Forums, the Humanities Roundtable and more
Influencing NISO's future direction
- nominate representatives from your organization to join the NISO Board, Topic Committee, and Executive Leadership positions
- vote in NISO Board elections and on other governance issues
- serve on NISO strategic directions committees, such as membership dues, governance, education, or program planning
Helping promote your organization as a leader in the information field
- NISO volunteers are often asked to speak about our initiatives at industry events, and are recognized as experts in their fields
- your organization can strategically back NISO projects that position your products or services in a positive, industry-leading way
- Voting Members are listed in the NISO membership page on our website, and in every standard published while your membership is in good standing
- we can help highlight your organization in the Member News section of NISO’s Information Organized (NISO i/o) and Newsline newsletters
- members get top priority for speaking opportunities at NISO events — virtual and in person
If your organization is involved in the creation, storage, preservation, sharing, accession, or dissemination of information — whether as a publisher, aggregator, library, vendor, or any other service provider — then NISO is for you!
To learn more about Voting Membership, see our Voting Membership Roster, Voting Member Dues, and Voting Member Application Form — or contact us at email@example.com. Libraries may also join NISO as Library Standards Alliance members.